Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday's Wisdom

Relationships and Negotiations: The Mesh

Really, that's what it all comes down to, right?  Relationships with others, and negotiating for what we need and want.   As we were talking about how to get others to do what they need to do with respect to technology (or anything else, for that matter) the outcomes are based on The Mesh.  I hope I'm skilled enough to make The Mesh as "win-win" as possible!

I appreciated Margaret's 'three-pronged approach' to getting her staff to do what's needed:  teach first, clearly and repeatedly state administrative expectations,  and help teachers identify and break down the barriers.  Sounds like a good way to go.

G on Google, Hot Bath Moments in Technology and Killer Techno Tools

Google Fans, UNITE!  Was this guy great, or what?  The information presented was incredibly helpful but anyone can deliver great information.  What made his PD great was the fact that he presented great information in a super engaging way because of who he is.  Who wouldn't like him?  Did anyone else wonder what happened to the Star Wars fighter jet??  My favorite G quote of the day: 

“If you ever have an original thought, you don’t have to worry about anyone stealing it, as you will likely have to shove it down people’s throats.”

Todd's Homework Prompt:  What's my 'local vision'?  What will/can I do in September?  

I've decided to host a "Summer Share" for staff who wish to participate. We can all share about things we learned this summer which we want to apply in the classroom during the school year.  I'll share the video I'm making for our final project and I'll bring snacks, which usually draws at least a small crowd! 

I stumbled across this quote today and thought it was a great reminder...  “In order for reflective practice to be at it’s highest level we have to have evidence of practice.” (Jennifer Chandler, Virtual Instructional Coach, Memphis City Schools)  So,  I'll double my efforts to "practicing what I preach" and will try to 'be the change I want to see' in my school. 

A question I hope to answer in partnership with my colleagues... 
How do we promote learning which makes students feel appreciated?










6 comments:

  1. G's presentation was terrific! I have already incorporated his tools and strategies into my Tech Plan. Exciting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G needs to teach an actual class for L&C!
    Thank you for your insights in class & always reminding us to ask "WHY".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you insight. I agree with you about Margaret's 3-prong approach. Communication is key when things are highstakes. Technology bring passion out in people (positive and negative) and it's important to have evidence of practice. It's exciting to imagine and wonder about how it looks in classrooms but to actually make it useful is another quest.

    PS-I too wonder what happen to the jet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about G's engaging personality!

    I am intrigued by your notion of a Summer Share for staff. What a great way to encourage reflection and goal setting for the coming year... while broadening our collective learning. It can also be the beginnings of a curated website/shared doc for resources in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer Share...I like it. Let's put our heads together and maybe tie it to the S2N effort for teachers...think about it...

    ReplyDelete